Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
We Can Test That...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on April 18, 2001 19:35:25 UTC

Alex,

I could theoretically conduct an experiment with an electomagnetic field detector that tests whether photon waves are registered near my face when I close my eyes. If those fields are *humanly* detectable each time the *human* experiment is conducted, then *I* have a strong probable cause in thinking that closing my eyes is not effective in affecting *our* interpretation of *human* science (i.e., the dynamics of photon emission).

Now, notice that all the interpretations of the data is framed within human and intelligent frameworks. The ideal test (experiment 2) for the complete human objectivity of science would be to remove the human interpreter and see if human constructs (e.g., photons, cause, interpretation, science, etc) still hold the same meaning to an alien intelligence. The next ideal experiment (experiment 3) after that one would be to remove the observer completely, but that would fully destroy the experiment since without an observer the results of an experiment cannot be reported.

Since we don't know of other intelligent beings capable of extensive human language we cannot conduct experiment 2 and by definition of what an experiment is we can never conduct experiment 3. Hence, we are forever lacking in a scientific confirmation that science is about things independent of mind (and for the time being prevented from conducting experiment 2). It's a great thesis, don't get me wrong, but this thesis can't be empirically confirmed therefore your philosophical argument and conclusions remain in the confides of philosophy.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins