Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Subconscious Explanation For Near-Fatal Saving.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 18, 2001 16:52:40 UTC

Dick,

Thank you for the "my subconscious knew the jeep was coming" explanation of my near-fatal accident. I hadn't thought about that. My peripheral vision may have seen it coming. I don't remember that. I may have heard something, but my recollection was only seeing it flash by, not hearing any recognizable sound other than the bus. Again, maybe my subconscious knew by the sound.

Sometimes people will stop their walking because of some unconscious concern. "Something's wrong," they think, but they can't "put their finger on it" (i.e., describe it consciously).

While becoming an atheist, I especially benefitted from Carl Sagan's explanation for near-death experiences in his book "A Daemon-Haunted World". I was having trouble explaining away the supernatural interpretation of these kinds of experiences. I like Sagan's explanation, not because I think it's necessarily the right one, but because I realized that his primary message was reasonable, that science potentially could explain all those kinds of experiences.

I think Sagan's explanation for alien abductions (as being modern versions of ancient devil abductions) is probably right on.

I've considered confronting my parents about the Argentine coin conveniently discovered in my room as I was preparing to go there on a Mormon mission. If they said they or someone else had left it there to build my self-confidence, I would believe them and consider the mystery resolved. If they said they didn't have anything to do with it and didn't know if anyone else did, I would probably not believe them, even if they were telling me the truth. I'm not sure I want to place that potential relationship barrier between us at this time. Perhaps I'll leave it as a mystery. I won't accept it as evidence of God anymore, however.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins