Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Simpler Yet...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on April 16, 2001 22:53:56 UTC

Hi Dick and Harv,

How about "Reality is what is". So, if it is, it's real.

As for descriptions, could there be anything indescribable?

Unless you have some reason for ruling the possibility out, I think, in the meantime anyway, you have to allow the possibility.

So that would mean that there might be some 'part' of reality that is describable and some other 'part' that is indescribable. (Instead of 'part' a word like 'aspect' might be better but I don't want to get hung up on it.)

As for the describable 'part', a whole bunch of it seems evident to me and my thoughts. It seems to me that there is a whole world out there including you guys with whom I can exchange descriptions of 'parts' of reality that seem describle.

Other thoughts that happen are what I call my feeling of hunger, my perception of pain, etc. which I am able to tell you happen, but which I can't seem to describe. Maybe these sensations are really indescribable, I'm not sure.

Now, Dick, you have shown that all descriptions can be reduced to sets of numbers, and that the entirety of the describable 'parts' of reality can be reduced to a big set of numbers. With this starting point, you have shown that physical reality, (just a name for the describable 'part' of reality) can only appear and behave as it does to us: obeying the laws of physics.

Other people, like Lars, and many mystics over the centuries have told us that they have experienced an indescribable 'part' of reality. Who knows? They might be right about those claims.

Dick, I would say that your experience with your subconscious is not completely describable and so there might be a 'part' of reality involved with it that is indescribable.

So to sketch out where I am going with this, I think that to understand all of reality, we should take a two-pronged approach (just in case there really is something indescribable out there). First, we should start with Dick's equation and once and for all derive *all* of the correct and complete laws of physics that will explain everything that is explainable.

Second, I think we should listen to everyone who says something like one poster did a few days back when they say "let me give you a description of something indescribable."

By considering those ideas with open minds, we might be able to learn something about the boundary at least. Just like learning about the event horizon of a black hole even though there is no hope of learning much about what is going on inside.

Sorry to gush on like that, but I feel like a garbage bag full of water and your conversation punched a hole in my side. It just came out.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins