Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Consciousness, The Middle Ground

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Richard/">Richard on July 15, 1999 13:32:54 UTC

It seems to me that a Forum on God & Science should have more concern for "consciousness" than is apparent here. For me, consciousness is what counts. If my consciousness does not survive my death, then I don't really care if there is a god or not. Perhaps this is selfish, but what concerns me is the survival of my consciousmess. If my soul survives but lacks my consciousnes, then I could care less. So what does religion say about the survival of consciousness. In western religions it seems to be an unspoken assumption that consciousness will survive. Yet all western religions stem from the Old Testament where the concept of resurrection of bodies is the ruling after-death theory. Presumably the bodies are asleep until resurrection. Not my idea of a good after-life. Eastern religion seem to say that everything is god, and at the same time that consciousness is in everything. It makes me wonder what kind of consciousness they are thinking of. What does science say about consciousness? The web is full of articles on consciousness, and a science of consciousness is beginning to develop. But it's still all hypothetical. The older approach to consciousness expressed by psychologists, particularly the behavourists, is that consciousness does not exist. Like it's just a figment of our imagination, which may not exist either. It's bad enough when old science used to claim that god does not exist. But when they say consciousness does not exist, they are hitting close to home. Fortunately New Age Science with its quantum theories and dark matters is more open to the possible existence of god and consciousness. So anyway, I think consciousness is the necessary middle way between god and science, and wish that greater attention be devoted to this way in this forum. Its a subject that both creationists and atheists might be able to discuss rationally. Afterall who cares whether consciousness has existed for 6,000 years or 6 billion years. The question is, does it exist now, and is there some sense in which everything can be consciousness?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins