Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Penrose

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard/">Richard on July 15, 1999 12:09:30 UTC

: I'm not sure what you mean by

: "But to get self-consciousness a kind of split consciousness is needed."

: Is this from Sagan's "Dragons of Eden" or possibly "Bocca's Brain"?

: You lost me here. Help.

I think that self-consciousnes requires one consciousness to do the thinking and another to observe that one is thinking. This is hypothetical, but it stems from the common experience that often we will do things unconsciously, so to speak. For example, when we are completely absorbed in some activity we loose all awareness of time or our environment. Then I think we are operating with a single consciousness, as I expect higher forms of non-human life do. It takes a second source of consciousness to be aware of everything including what we are thinking. Our logical thinking seems to be a classical physics effect, probably performed with collapsed quantum wave functions, whereas our awareness seems to me to be a coherent quantum effect stemming from uncollapsed wave functions that are invisible to us.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins