Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Sinister Thing!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on April 15, 2001 03:25:29 UTC

Paul,

Sorry I didn’t mention it but I agree totally with your other comment: “The sinister thing is that the concept of absolute truth finds its greatest purpose in giving gullible people some reason to adhere to the ideas 'purveyed' by charlatans and the like. “

That is exactly why I always preach against authority of any kind! I am of the opinion that everyone must think things out for themselves. If they don’t, than they are no different than the rest of the animal kingdom and we must depend on their inbred nature to be nonviolent. Which brings up another issue.

Stormcrow brought up this same issue elsewhere. I am afraid he is right that most of mankind will never be able to reason out appropriate behavior; however, I don’t think any of it is to be controlled by fear of punishment. Those who cause the problems seldom have any fear of punishment (religion or not). What must be done is that antisocial behavior has to be removed somehow (or very strictly controlled by alternate means).

But I am not here to solve the worlds problems!

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins