Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Very Little, Actually

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brian E. Sloan on April 14, 2001 19:37:36 UTC

Good post. Though I would disagree with the US being Christian dominated. To me, it seems we are in a hurry to distance ourselves from our Christian heritage.

Religious, is a very broad term, it can include anyone who a possesses a vague spirituality, to a fundamentalist, like myself. What has happened, and is happening, is that we are becoming a confused people. We seek to cast away what is believed to be the "shackles" of religious faith ie. moral absolutes, only to find that in their absence, life has lost its meaning and purpose.

[Actually, if moral absolutes are absolute, they cannot be cast away---only ignored, this is something I've already addressed here, so to keep from sounding redundant, I will leave it that for now]

Something has to fill the vacuum. That something is, the desire to fill only the material wants of the self. We are a selfish, shallow, people. Seeking to disavow ourselves from the latest school shooting or other travesty, we turn to the latest episode of "Survivor", an extramarital affair, drugs, alcohol, or what ever can make us feel good. But that moment, turns out to be all-too fleeting, and we go in search of the next fleeting moment of escape. It is a sorry and needless spectacle.

As a Christian, I accept the finished work of Christ, for my salvation. He said it was finished, I believe Him. There is nothing I can do, to add or take away, from His finished work.

Thus, I am relieved from the burden of performing empty religious rituals--what good are they? I am relieved from the trying to live up to the standards of the Law--it brings only death and Hell.

I am free, indeed. Peace.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins