Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Reply To The Historicity Of Jesus Of Nazareth

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harv........ on April 12, 2001 21:43:17 UTC

John,

If you're really interested in this issue from an archaeological issue, then I think you'll need to read past articles of a archaeological journal that specializes in biblical archaeology. I'm satisfied from my own reading of evidence that the New Testament does a pretty good job at identifying real cities and politics at the time, but unless you wish to get a Ph.D. in Near East archaeology, at some point you're gonna have to admit to a certain amount of ignorance to the subject. So, whereas I'll say that the evidence appears to be consistent with New Testament descriptions, I do not possess enough archaeological knowledge to know all the nuances of the issues involved (from face value it seems as though Zindler is completely off the mark here, but again that's face value and I'd need to see a long dialogue between experts to have more of a feel for the issues involved).

Anyway, check out this site and let me know if this provides enough evidence for your satisfaction. If not, then I suppose you'll need more communication with professional archaeologists.

http: //www.bib-arch.org/search.html

Search away evidence for those cities that Zindler says don't exist. The archaeologists contributing articles to the journal (which include Jews, atheists, agnostics, etc) seem to assume the existence of those cities as completely removed from controversy. In a number of instances I think you can find why they accept such evidence as such.

Best Regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins