Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: God

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harv........ on April 11, 2001 21:54:06 UTC

John,

If platonic principles exist (i.e., they have the ability to cause the universe, cause particular laws, etc), then I think this does imply some form of theism (not a patriarchal deity, however).

Here's why. If a logical principle 'exists' then this implies non-material ontological structure to the primordial world. Such a structure would encompass not just the principles, but all the principles and logic that could conceivably be a consequence from a particular principle. Let me illustrate. Let's say that A=B, then unless we are talking about a certain higher math, it would appear that B=A. What we have is one principle (A=B) directly implying yet another principle (B=A). In that sense, not only would all the laws and equations of mathematics *BE*, so would entire sets of algorithms: infinite algorithms.

The criteria of an algorithm existing is simple: it exists because it has to because it is a derivative form of another algorithm. What I think we have here is one eternal and infinite logical structure to the primordial world that collectively causes the world.

This is not a proof, but simply a conjecture. It seems to me that a theistic interpretation to nature is at least allowable. What is not allowable would be anthropomorphic descriptions (i.e., beyond metaphor). The full nature of that logical structure would be beyond our comprehension however.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins