Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Flip Side Of The Three Dimentional Coin

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil.O.(Z)ofir on July 12, 1999 18:38:00 UTC

: This board seems to be thriving, discussion always leads to knowledge gained. : I would like to present a quickly thought out hypothesis. Those who are familiar with my views won't find this suprising (Phil.O.Sophir (the real one), Nate, Ton.....where the hell are you guys?). : My hypothesis: Every deity ever emagined by self-aware mankind has been created in order to explain unknown phenomina.

: That is my hypothesis. I didn't steal it, although I would be very suprised if similiar statements were not floating around somwhere in academia.

: Obviously many of you will not approve of this hypothesis. It simply doesn't coincide with present believes. Honestly, I could care less. I'm interested in logical explanations that support or reject this hypothesis. I'm loaded, but I'll save my last 5 shots for the replies.

: H

***Hi H! Just finished up my BA in Social Science, I guess I gotta get a job now. Anyway, another reason for our creation of unreality is for control purposes, but in my opinion is mostly due to justifying our own actions. I know this sounds a little ridiculous because everyone "sees" the restrictive "rules" applied to society by organized religion, but the hidden part is that all these "gods" and made in our own image, right down to character traits of human beings. Also, the accepted practice of being "resonsible to god" allows some deviation from real retribution and forgiveness, which after this point (if given at all) is second hand, which is of no value to me. What I mean is that if someone has done me wrong and wants forgiveness from me, then god should have nothing to do with it, even if it did exist! Otherwise its a sort of "I ask of your forgiveness because god says to." NOT because I need it, want it or even feel that what I did is really bad, Its just that it is "said that such and such is wrong, so I am going through the motions as god commands of me... Off to find my fortune, see ya'll some time in the future! :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins