Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Incomprehensible Things

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on April 10, 2001 20:35:27 UTC

"about God such as being big enough to be omnipresent, but small enough to dwell in your heart"

Science is full of incomprehensible things as you well know. The quote above from your post reminds me of a rigorous solution of 2-D string theory that Briane Greene presented in the 1980s at Northeastern University when he was a postdoc at Harvard. I had the opportunity to question him about it after his presentation.

In rigorous 2-D string theory there is a string of near Planck radius, a circle, in which every point outside the universe is mapped, preserving angular direction, to a point within the circle but at 1/r if r is the distance to the point outside of the circle.

So the entire universe can be found within about a planck circle. If god is something like the whole universe, and if 2-D theory has any application to the 3-d world, then the image of the universe exists almost everywhere.

My question to him that day was if the universe were to collapse, would his theory predict that it would bounce. He had not thought about that. So I asked Hawking the same question and got an answer. It would not bounce because it would be at a different point in phase space from the big bang. Somethings are incomprehensible to even the best scientists.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins