Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Particles As Illusion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Richard Ruquist on April 10, 2001 12:12:32 UTC

This is a contribution I made to a String forum on Mystics and Metaphysics in answer to a question as to whether or not string theory will illuminate the Hindu proposition that all is illusion. I think this forum is also appropriate for such a discussion. The post does allude that religion can contribute to science, a point often dismissed on this forum.

Particles as illusion

I do not think string theory will answer the illusion issue. Strings are particles. And the illusion is that particles exist.
I think the answer lies in the correct interpretation of quantum mechanics.
Quantum mechanics is all about fields or waves which are invisible. We do not see them. But they are reality. They are essentially all that exist.
Particles manifest when fields interact nonlinearly. But the particles, which actually may only be a mathematical representation, only exist for a Planck time. The rest of the time, which is essentially all time, they exist as fields and are invisible.
Therefore the visible world is an illusion. The real world is invisible to us. Or at least most of us. The Autobiography of a Yogi points out that the Yogi's master could see the real world and could help the Yogi see it. But as far as I can tell, the Yogi could never do it on his own. So there is perhaps only a handful, if that, of humans that can see the real world at any one time.
The problem is that there are so many interpretations of quantum mechanics, that it is not obvious at all from science alone which one is likely to be the correct one. It takes science plus religion to do that. That is why I post on this forum.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins