Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: God V. Godzilla

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by bzrd on July 12, 1999 00:54:49 UTC

: This would have been a fitting end to the Godzilla : movies out of Japan...both are myth.

: The fact of the matter is that those who believe in : God are less open to the notion that he may not exist, : while those with mixed opinions (ignorantly tauted as : atheists) haven't seen enough evidence either way.

: If you were taught to believe in something all your : life or became born-again into that belief, your mind : has already been made. Nothing anyone can say or : prove will influence your opinion because no one wants : to believe that a large portion of their life was a : waste of time.

: The way I see it is that if I burn in Hell for having : an open mind and humanistic beliefs, then God's Heaven : isn't the type of place for me anyway.

Someone once said "it is easy to have an opinion about something that you don't understand". Having been on both sides of this issue ( I am a born again Christian) gives me an opportunity to share some insight to this question. It is easy, from an intellectual perspective, to dismiss human spirituality as a sort of evolutionary artifact. Indeed, with the advances in physics and cosmology I can understand how one could come to such a conclusion, strictly from the intellectual perspective. To make a point, lets assume for a moment, that human spirituality is strictly "brain chemistry" that was passed down through an evolutionary process. Then even the materialist has to concede that humans have spiritual needs the same as dietary needs etc. Indeed, if one considers the historical record, the godless societies have been the least successful. Stalin, Hitler and others all denied the existence of a Supreme Being. In our own country, in our own time, we don't have to look far to find evidence of godlessness. What does this tell us? That, like it or not, we are spiritual beings that are doomed to flounder and self-destruct when left to our own devices. The question I would pose to you is this; how can you say, with any certitude, that God did not design us that way?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins