Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Science Is Flawed For Not Covering Up.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 9, 2001 20:18:54 UTC

Mario,

You wrote,

> ...what you're (science-bashing theists)saying > is that science is flawed because is raises
> questions instead of covering them up.

Well-said. I wish I had said that.

Religion tends to sweep under the rug and call "unimportant" anything they don't have an answer to. If they think they do have an answer watch out for their enthusiastic explanation. For example, Mormons are fond of telling other Christians were they lived before they were born, what their real purpose on Earth is, and where exactly they'll go after they die. Mormons are fond of simplifying the trinity debate and explaining certain scriptures in the Bible that other Christians pay little attention to.

The founder, Joseph Smith, published a facsimile describing what makes the Sun shine.

Imagine, a hundred years ago before the discovery of thermonuclear fusion, a religious prophet explains why our Sun shines. Wouldn't that be good evidence God really exists and talks to the worthy? And what does this man in the early 1800s have to say about the Sun? The Sun is supposed to ". . . borrow its light from Kolob [another large spherical object, star or planet is uncertain] through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash, . . ." (Facsimile 2 of the Pearl of Great Price)

Ho-hum, sounds like something someone made up. Perhaps Joseph Smith had a skin rash at the time. I'm embarrassed to admit my elder brother believes this nonsense and has encouraged me a few times to do astronomical research showing it to be true. Right, I'm supposed to claim nuclear fusion is a big lie and the Sun really shines by reflection or by some strange transfer of photons or matter from Kolob (wherever and whatever that is) to our Sun. It reminds me of the religious geologists of the Seventh-Day Adventists and others encouraged by their religious leaders to prove Noah's Flood really covered the Earth and caused the geologic column.

Mormons do have a cop out for this fiasco. The facsimile represents what Joseph Smith claims the Egyptians believed. Not everything they believed is necessarily true. In other words, anything science proves false can be ignored, but other things could be accepted as Gospel truth.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins