Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
World Government???

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on April 9, 2001 20:09:11 UTC

John,

To govern means to control. Once upon a time, long long ago (when I was a graduate student), a group of us used to hang around and party together. It was quite a diverse group, both males and females, from different colleges at the university. (A long story as to how the group managed to come to be.)

At one time, someone in the group (it happened to be a girl as a matter of fact) suggested that we should form a society with our own rules as to behavior. I said it sounded great and I wished to propose the first rule: "no one had to do anything they didn't want to do!". No one would agree with it. They all took the position that a society exists because people agree to go along with the rules even if they disagree on the rules. Anyway, the discussion was never brought up again.

I concluded that some people like imposing their will on others and that this is the source of government. The anarchists of the 19th century were not very bright. We cannot be without government as there is always someone who wants to govern you.

Thus it is I come to agree with the adage: "that government which governs least governs best"! It's first duty is to prevent the existence of other governments (others trying to control your behavior) once it has done that, it should curtail any further behavior.

Now, if you can come up with a government which I could trust to behave in such a way, then I would be in favor of a world government.

Just an opinion -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins