Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Unanswered Questions No Excuse For Religion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 9, 2001 18:38:21 UTC

Because science does not have all the answers does not justify retaining superstition, because religious leaders certainly do not have the answers.

I think Hitler was wrong, but what arguments do I use? I haven't worried about this before because I used to have a religious basis. Dealing with the existence of God was a more pressing concern than re-evaluating my basis for judging the holocaust. I hope that humanism or some other non-religious basis can fill the void.

I feared that becoming an atheist would force me to commit suicide because I would have no reason to live. I enjoy living and dislike the thought of hurting or dying, so I'm no longer a suicide risk, but what about my ethics? I continue to live a life basically the same as before, but I am gradually changing what I consider acceptable and unacceptable behavior.

I no longer rely on the Bible or Mormon religious leaders to tell me what went wrong in my marriage. I rely on books by psychologists and family counselors in comparison with my experiences.

I have a lot more respect for people who aren't dedicated to their religious beliefs.

Unmarried sex is no longer taboo religiously to me, but I avoid it because I think it hurts relationships.

Based partly on my religious background, I used to think Gays were unnatural and without basis for special rights. I've changed my view based on rational, science-based arguments I heard Gays give to anti-Gay posters on a "Gay Rights" website. I've concluded that the Mormon church's fight against Gay marriages is merely delaying the inevitable. This change of opinion was significant in helping me realize the Mormon church were not the repository of truth.

I used to be against abortion and for large families, but now I think differently. I consider the rights of the pre-existing person(e.g., the Mother) far outweigh the rights of the potential person (fetus). I'm no longer concerned that God wants the child to be born. I now discourage my sisters from having any more children (my mother had 11 and my sisters have had almost as many).

I used to be against world government, but now my attitude is shifting more in favor. I haven't studied the pros and cons enough to be conclusive.

I don't currently have a solid basis for my ethical beliefs. However, realizing that religion is no basis at all, I feel comfortable taking my time at getting a scientific basis.

Basically, I've become free of the religious shackles that colored my attitudes. Now, I have to come up with new reasons to have a moral opinion. I seem to have to think a lot more than I used to. Atheists call it "free-thought". You should try it.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins