Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
USSR Is A Good Example To Consider.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 8, 2001 18:12:16 UTC

Richard,

Your title:

> You mean like the USSR?

The USSR is a good example to consider.

Alexander can tell us more about how things worked in that "atheist" nation, for example he might tell us about their own brand of "religion" called Lenin-worship or Stalin-worship and their own problems with superstitious beliefs. My understanding is that they had a lot more respect for math and science than we do here. We tend to degrade math. We tend to live our lives so we can self-fulfill our hope "I won't ever need this math stuff in my day-to-day life." Humanities experts sometimes pride themselves in their inability to understand science and math, like the Victorian-class woman who doesn't want to look like she's too smart. Russians weren't generally like this. When you showed them the math they tended to accept it.

Nevertheless, here are some important points. With a population only slightly greater, but with a GNP vastly below our own they were able to

* equal us in the Space Race.
* far outdo the Europeans and Japanese in Space.
* surpass us in nuclear power.
* surpass us in military strength.

To do this they were forced to devote a much larger percentage of their GNP to the military. The system failed because of this and other economic/political reasons. I think it was partly because they realized that Reagan's administration was going to devote more money to military and the Soviets wouldn't be able to match it. Also they feared that the US would succeed in producing anti-ballistic systems that might make their vast arsenal impotent.

Compare "atheist" China and "religious" India. Their populations are similar, yet the Chinese are a far more powerful nation, wouldn't you agree?

Religion is NOT the reason the US, Europe, and Japan are the major economic powers today. It is despite their religous beliefs. Religion and superstition suck out of our world economy unacceptably large amounts of personpower and resources that could be channeled into scientific and humanitarian development. Religion and superstition are large drains on our modern society.

When will our society become scientifically-literate enough that they can throw off the psychotherapeutic shackles of superstition and religion? I hope soon.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins