Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Sinking Ship Of Supernaturalism

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 5, 2001 21:38:30 UTC

Couldn't these "communications" just be in your heads?

The late Carl Sagan, atheist, admitted that he missed his dead parents and sometimes even was stimulated such that it sounded like his parents spoke to him. He didn't think dead people were really talking to him, why do you?

There have been times when I thought someone called my name, but when I looked around there wasn't anyone. I don't know the reason the brain (or auditory nerve) sends these false signals, but I don't assume that dead people are trying to direct my life. Why do you?

There were a few times in my life when I was halfway asleep and imagined someone was above me. I could even begin to picture them. When my rational mind kicked in and suggested I was hallucinating, the hallucination disappeared. I can see how ancient and modern people imagined that demons or aliens visited them.

If you want to and encourage your mind to fantasize, I think it can.

Have you tried putting a microphone to hear the words of these deceased persons? I think you'll find that no sound is being produced. That's one reason the die-hard supernaturalists suggest alternatives like telepathy that bypass scientific detection.

Rather than trying to preserve the sinking ship of supernaturalism among the rising waters of science, by suggesting ways in which it COULD be true, why don't you just let the outdated ship sink? Use Occam's razor.

It seems to me that supernaturalists don't believe in this stuff BECAUSE of the evidence, but they look for supporting evidence or at least the lack of absolute refutation for what they already irrationally believe. If they can't find adequate evidence for their religious belief, they at least try to argue that science can't prove it couldn't be true.

If flaws in science can be found, this builds their confidence that maybe their religious belief could be true.

Is this what you're doing?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins