Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Tachyons Are Not God.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 5, 2001 21:18:58 UTC

I don't know about the evidence you're referring to. It's certainly possible that a material object can travel faster than light in a medium other than vacuum. One of the results when charged particles do this is called Cerenkov radiation. Phase velocity is faster than c and the group velocity is less than c, but phase velocity doesn't transmit information.

I don't think Tachyons should be called God.

Not admitting that experimental refutation of SR or GR exists (if it does exist tell us about it and perhaps we'll have the next Nobel prize winner) let me rephrase what I said: terms like Tachyons can be introduced to facilitate discussion about hypothetical objects even if they don't or can't exist.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2018 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins