Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Can You Conceive Of A Universe Without God?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 3, 2001 23:01:17 UTC

As a theist, can you conceive of a universe WITHOUT God, one that works based on laws without the need for God? I doubt you could comfortably, because to do so would encourage you to rely on atheist explanations for how things work without God.

As an atheist, however, I have little trouble conceiving of what the universe would be like if there WERE a God. If the God I was taught to believe in as a child existed then the universe would be a lot nicer place than the uncaring one in which we happen to live.

-It wouldn't look like the universe was much older than a few thousand years old
-It wouldn't look like we descended from ape-like ancestors
-It wouldn't look like there was no universal flood of Noah
-It wouldn't look like what we do in life depends entirely on ourselves and others around us, but would depend greatly on what supernatural things were going on
-It would look like using faith the laws of gravity, entropy, etc. could be violated
-It would look like those who obeyed the Bible prospered significantly more than those who violated the teachings of the Bible,
-etc.

Since these things aren't now how one would expect given claims about how things should be with God around, I've come to conclude that the God people claim they believe in doesn't exist. I doubt that any such supernatural being exists for lack of evidence of such.

The God you probably believe in doesn't appear to exist in the universe we live in. If He did the evidence would be much greater.

Unlike the gullible people that believe UFO aliens are kidnapping people and doing experiments on them, I don't believe in either UFO alien experiments or God because there's too little evidence in favor and too many reasons to be skeptical of people who claim they know God or know someone experimented on by extraterrestrials.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins