Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Consciousness Disintegrates

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on April 2, 2001 22:49:11 UTC

On the radio last night I heard a discussion of reincarnation by a leading Rinpoche of the Shambala branch of Buddhism. He described how after death the consciousness can be seen (by him I guess) to disintegrate so that only a tiny portion without memory or identity survives to enter a new birthing body. That is essentially equivalent to Jewish transmigration.

So even within religion there is contradiction of the possibility of surviving death in any meaningful state. This is also the branch of Buddhism that claims that there is no god.

I must admit that to hear such a pronouncement from the religion that seems to be most knowledgeable about consciousness is distressing. There may be exceptions for extraordinary persons, but that is not me. Perhaps I should prepare myself to cease to exist.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins