Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Responses To All

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Hartley DiBianca on March 22, 2001 01:54:40 UTC

My education is rather average given todays standards. I have a BS in Finance and am currently working on an MBA, however work is currently my first priority. I am 24 and make a living in an area related to my education. The questions was interesting and the responses were even better. First and foremost, taking offense to things has become to common place in today's culture. Perhaps an outcome of the leftist establishment, although I have problems with both sides.....politically.

The other response full of selected quotes was interesting. Did the writer suspect I was an atheist by reading my original post? This would not upset me. I found the quotes interesting, they were selected in a unique way and could persuade some people into thinking that the owners were very religious people. I would urge the poster to research things further and gain an understanding of what the authors meant by "god" in their quotes. Einstien, much like Hawking, has written pieces in which he references a god for the purpose of a reference point. They are (were) not religious people by any means. Christian, Muslim, Jew, no not even Buhdist or Hindu. They were very a-religious or dare I say atheist. One could easily take a select group of their quotes and convince the masses that they were flat out anti religious, perhaps santanism would come to the mind of some fundamentalists.

The politics is interesting because it all ties together. I have had similiar exchanges with people about Jefferson and Franklin. It is very easy to take select quotes and draw a picture to your liking. I would ask, what religion was Jefferson? He wasn't anything other than a classic deist who probably conformed to his time for ease of life while not living a religious life at all.

Topics like these bring about great emotion, which I like to avoid. Did you know that "In God we Trust" was put on United States currency in the 50's? Some would argue that our nation has a religious heritage based on facts like this, of which are irrelevant. What do the 1950s have to do with our founding?

My religious philosophy has become obvious. I love the conversation, I love the thinking, I love the struggle.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins