Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You Misunderstand The Purpose Of The Questin.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on March 21, 2001 19:21:33 UTC

Richard,

The only reason I asked about his education was to determine if he has the tools to follow my thoughts. You can not talk about things which are outside a persons ability to understand.

It is no criticism of him. There are lots of things that I cannot follow because I lack the knowledge to understand the common terms used.

For example, check out David Chalmers web page at the University of Arizona. He has a lot of publications linked to his site, obviously held in high regard in his field, he is surely a very rational mind; yet I can make no rational judgement of him. That is because I find it very difficult to follow his publications as I have no education in his field.

Or take string theory, I have been out of physics for over 30 years. I have been trying to pick some of the ideas up and haven't been very successful (couldn't find any math, most all introductions just talk in vague terms). I finally found out what P-branes, D-branes and N-branes are. But I still haven't found any samples of successful calculations: i.e., the actual math represented by their shorthand notations.

So I say again, in order to communicate, you have to be aware of what the other party can understand. I have met a lot of very rational people in my life but most of them have very little technical education.

I am sorry I upset you, I was just looking for a little information. I have no wish to rain on someones parade. My problems are clearly mine and none of theirs.

Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins