Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Don't Regulate False Claims By Churches

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on March 19, 2001 20:53:03 UTC

I've been writing too much without thinking.

I have no desire to restrict anyone's right to speak or write whatever nonsense they wish as long as it falls within what is currently legal.

When businesses make false advertising, it's not the government, but the hurt customers who should seek redress. The government has gotten into food labeling, cigarette labeling, etc., but I'm not sure that is proper. Foolish people should be allowed to buy feces in a jar and kill themselves on it if they want to. Car owners should be allowed to buy a vehicle without seat belts or air bags and die in an accident if they want to. The government is regulating where it probably doesn't need to partly because too many people in society are too foolish to make correct decisions.

I'll return to the idea of suing churches. Former members should sue for a refund of donations because they didn't get or aren't likely to ever get what was promised them. It may force all religions to back down on their more exaggerated claims when atheist / agnostic judges or juries award large penalties against some churches.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins