Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Comments On Godel's Proof

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on March 16, 2001 15:39:00 UTC

After carefully reading Godel's proof I came to the conclusion that the real problem is our insistence on the "true" "false" dichotomy. I now, instead, hold a tri-valued position on the issue: i.e., these words are tags we place on statements and there is a third category which is generally ignored. That third category is what I call "meaningless".

Thus it is possible any statement may be "true", "false" or "meaningless"; actually determining the correct tag is often very difficult but I believe the categories are complete. My categories are defined as follows: if you can prove it is correct it is "true", if you can prove it is wrong it is "false" and if you can prove it cannot be proved it is "meaningless".

You may not like my name for the third category but I find it quite reasonable. Unless you can provide me with an example which fits my definition and not the connotations of that word, I will stick by it as the best name for that third category (certainly Godel's proof itself demands that third category).

Using my definition, it is my opinion that most arguments revolve around meaningless issues.

Life is fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins