Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Repeated Extraordinary Evidence Becomes Ordinary?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on March 9, 2001 17:47:53 UTC

Repeated experiments may change "extraordinary" evidence to the mere "ordinary". I hadn't thought about that. Maybe you're right.

I suspect Sagan and Paine would consider the original careful atomic clock experiments and solar eclipse observations as extraordinary evidence sufficient to confirm the extraordinary predictions of Einstein. Einstein made the claims before enough confirming experiments were performed that you might consider the experiments as "ordinary" evidence.

I suspect that sometimes scientists make claims without lots of experimental support hoping others will add to the research either confirming their early claim or promoting an alternative theory. Falsifiable claims are part of good science.

I think I'm a better scientist now then I was when I accepted the supernaturalism of Mormonism. You seem to think I'm a bad scientist now probably because I don't accept the remote sensing experiments as reliable.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins