Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Japanese Americans During WWII.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on March 6, 2001 18:01:19 UTC

So, if I believe something is true, it doesn't mean I think it is true?

At one point in my life I was one of those Mormons who believed the Mormon Church had the truth or, at least, more than anyone else. I prefer to judge that I didn't think the issue through well enough than that I was lying, although self-deception undoubtedly also played a role.

I think the world uses "truth" and "true" as ideals that are unchanging. What statements people agree to call true may change with time especially after aquiring more knowledge, but they would assume "truth" is unchanging.

Consider views about American Japanese during and after WWII. Many non-Japanese Americans thought it was true that large numbers of Japanese Americans would be inclined to rise up in rebellion to support the Japanese government. Some time after the war more and more people realized they had misjudged the Japanese Americans (Society didn't react the same way to German or Italian Americans, for example). The new view was different than the old. Thus, we would say that views during the war about American Japanese were false, although the American public, at the time, thought their views were correct.

Are you saying that what was true about Japanese Americans changed between those two time frames? This doesn't seem to match what we mean by true. Were the Japanese Americans during WWII inclined to rebellion or not? Can both statements be true?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins