Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Screw The Kids! Do Whats Best!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rich on March 4, 2001 22:02:29 UTC

When I was getting my degree in Civil Engineering, there were two teachers in the department that had bad reputations to some and great reputations to others. My Analysis teacher and my Geotechnical teacher were probably the best teachers you could ever get in college. They knew their stuff DOWN and they could teach it brilliantly. BUT they were demanding and very hard. Of course, I took as many classes with these teachers that I could. Some students avoided them, and they aren't doing as well as I am out of college. I took the high road and already after 1.5 years, I'm in charge of the Geotech's brand new soils lab.
The point is this, Alexander. What is your reputation? Is it all bad, or are there students that sign up to take your classes because you teach well. If the latter is true, screw the other kids. They're going to be failures due to their own indolence. If it is the prior, look at how you are interacting with the students. Are you teaching the students well? You may know alot, but is it getting across. If it isn't, step back, toss away all your class notes and start over. Are you teaching out of a book, directly out of a book and nothing else. I hated that! When students ask questions, do you speak down to them or do you speak them up to the answer? Just some things to look at.
If you aren't getting your points across, the answer won't be to make the class easier! That will get larger classes, but make you feel depressed. Work on your relation with the class, not the difficulty of the homework. This is college for crying out loud. What were they expecting?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins