Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Claims Can Be False, Facts And Truth Cannot.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on March 1, 2001 17:56:55 UTC

I disagree. I think "facts" and "truth" are tied together. Your assertion that facts could be false would be like saying there are true truths and false truths. I would agree that claims which are accepted to be facts can turn out to be false, but that means we were in error to have considered them to be facts.

In a court of law, I understand, the lawyers speak of the "facts of the case". These are those claims that both sides agree or stipulate to whether they are actually true or not. The court treats these claims as if they are facts or true.

This indicates that facts and truth are beyond the subjective observer. What we CALL fact and truth is subjective and may be false, but what IS fact and truth cannot be subjective or false, by definition.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins