Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Maybe

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on February 26, 2001 04:07:22 UTC

I'd agree with you on most of your points, I just think it's a tad idealistic. It would be easy to hold a discussion without "strong armed intimidation" if the subject was as objective as our desired approach to it, say, Hawking radiation or string theory. Theological discussions run so close to people's integral beliefs, though, that a civil discourse will at times be impossible. With all of the various viewpoints expressed here, you're going to step on somebody's toes. You may as well invite Farrakan and a KKK member to a Jerry Springer episode. I think that, of course, peaceful and mutual exchanges of opinions is a lofty goal. And when you have people from opposite ends of the spectrum on an issue of pure opinion, not objectivity or provable issues, fights will break out. I'm as guilty as any.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins