Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
LDS Doctrine Not Especially Backward.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on February 21, 2001 17:17:05 UTC

Richard David Yannopoulos-Ruquist,

The little I read about other religions together with the lack of good role models in other religions convinced me that the LDS doctrine was superior to all others when the LDS official views were moderated by alternative views of select LDS theologians. In other words, whenever a "backward" idea was promoted officially by the LDS church there was often a more "advanced" view available from some thoughtful LDS writer. Because of these "reasonable" answers to my doubts I remained a believer longer than I would have in another environment.

You'd expect a modern religion (the LDS church was founded in 1830) to have religious doctrine more in line with modern philosophies and science than older religions that haven't changed significantly.

Contrary to your suggestion, I don't think the claimed "backward" status of LDS doctrine adequately explains my attitude about religion. I'm convinced that I would have become an atheist years earlier in virtually any other religion. For example, I doubt that the Muslims would have kept me as a believer for very long.

Now I see that religious dogma, LDS or otherwise, is all without experimental support. Religious thinkers appear to be well-meaning people thinking and teaching about what the universe should be like if it matched their worldview. I prefer the science way of looking at how the universe is, not telling it how it should be.

This is not a forum to debate which religious doctrine is superior (LDS or Muslim dogma for example). If anything we should argue whether any religious dogma can compete with scientific knowledge. The debate is between God (of any religion) versus science. If you think your religion can compete with science, that's what we should argue about.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins