Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Utah Beats Harward In Teaching Science.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on February 18, 2001 23:13:52 UTC

Your judgement is based on a rather small statistical sample. But I may be willing to agree with the conclusion expressed in your post's title. That is that the teaching is better in Utah than in Harvard.

Fortunately from my experience associating with students at Harvard who went on to make names for themselves, they did not need teaching. As far as I could tell the knew everything ahead of time. But they were so much smarter than I that I could not really tell if that was true or not. Occasionally one would remark in class something like, "Ahh, so that's why it is...."

The remaining 90% of us had no clue what was being talked about. So I got to experience what seemed to me to be real genius. It further seemed to me that the remaining 90% were just there to fill out the class. But it was the 10% that Harvard was really concerned with. The faculty, who came from that 10% at Harvard or elsewhere, identified with their genius.

That is why I went into Star Wars research. The geniuses were there during WWII but had long since departed. So I had a competitive opportunity to succeed. Unfortunately the group the geniuses left behind were more interested in control and money than freedom of ideas.

One last thing about Harvard( not Harward). I was amazed at the humility of the professors there. If you asked a question privately, or presented your thoughts to them, almost invariably their response would that they did not understand. Very quickly you , or rather I learned, that what they meant is that they considered the logical consequences of your thoughts and saw a contradiction. I never saw the arrogance there that I experienced at the other institrutions I have been associated with.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins