Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Reposting An Earlier Comment You...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rich on February 16, 2001 02:57:37 UTC

said you would comment on, but didn't.

Lets take a mime for an example. He is in his univeral box. Trapped inside this box, the mime tries to understand the rules within it. He can measure the box and determine its size, hopefully it won't shrink. He can learn about physics inside his box by doing experiments. He can do anything he can without taking a leap of faith. Just because the universe is much larger than the mime's box, we should be able to do plenty in definition of how the universe is without taking a faith. The faith in science comes with "inventing" the laws of physics. You take imagination and then a leap of faith to come up with a theory. You then use experiments and then slide the theory into the realm of reality and away from faith.

I also am using the term theory a little loosely. A theory is not really faith and nothing can become a theory without alot scrutinizing. The better word would have been postulate or idea, but the damage is done. My backspace button doesn't work, so I must move on. ;)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins