Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
World Inconsistent With A Traditional View Of God

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on February 14, 2001 20:13:41 UTC

I'm an atheist as well, and I'm inclined to agree with the points you've just mentioned (except for the satan's plan thing... I'm not too familiar with Satanism, maybe you could elaborate?). Essentially, there's a discrepancy between what we expect the world to be like given a God, and what we actually observe.

Another common assertion I've been hearing from religious folks is that our minds are too limited to understand the universe i.e. the "argument from ignorance". IF the universe is incomprehensible, then God has intentionally put humans - creatures that desperately want to understand the world around them - into a universe that cannot be understood. It's the "Sisyphus" dilemma. This intuitively contradicts our expectations for what the world would be like given a benevolent supreme being.

I think the general definition of God that can be applied to most religions describes a being that is all powerful, all good, and all knowing. If anyone has any other definitions of God (e.g. a higher power or a force - something that might not even have conscious awareness) maybe we should get this point clarified before we proceed. I personally think that radical deviations from the all good/knowing/powerful definition are so different from the traditional view that we might as well call it something entirely different... i mean, if it's not even a conscious being?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins