Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Matters Of Opinion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on February 14, 2001 19:14:47 UTC

Hey Al,

"Even though I believe in a God all I can do is speculate about what attributes god may have or not have. As far as religion goes, there are many different religions in this world, and they all don’t necessary agree as to what god is or isn’t." - Al

Absolutely. I admire your humility on this. I was only responding to your own speculation on which characteristics such a being would have. In the original post you suggested "why don't you look at the story of Adam and eve as presented"... i assumed from that you were supporting a Judeo-Christian perception of God. I merely challenged this view (a being that's all knowing, all benevolent, and all powerful). I was only questioning one particular view of God - namely yours. You said that God was analagous to scientists testing their creations. I presented counter arguments. Was i out of line?

Furthermore, the mere fact that people disagree on some point does not imply that everybody's opinion is equally correct. Presumably we're discussing a matter that's supposed to be objective ie. Does God exist - or more specifically, does the God portrayed in the Bible exist. Two people that disagree on some objective matter can't both be correct, the point is to come to the best conclusion - we do this through debate.

"Every thing that’s posted here is just a matter of that person’s opinion. If you think that the Bible is the final authority and all other religions in this world don’t count, you have a right to believe that." - Al

Right again. I happen to disagree that the bible is the final authority - it's precisely why i challenged it.

"Nothing said here in this form is written in stone." - Al

No it's not written in stone, but it is recorded. As such, any mistakes one makes on the forum is displayed for all to see. I'm down with that, mistakes are necessary to learn.

"If you want to think only about the Bible, remember this, the angels were created before man. Nowhere does it say why God created man, it does say that God said, “Let us make man in our image and likeness”. Does this make god plural?" -Al

Agreed. This would be a problem for the biblical literalists out there. Fortunately i don't have that problem seeing as i'm an atheist.

"Don’t forget that there are many different religious beliefs here in this world. I would speculate that God inspired these different religions, based upon the nature of man, his environment and his society." -Al

So it would seem you don't subscribe to any particular religion. How would you define God?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins