Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Re: A Relationship With God Or Santa Claus

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on February 14, 2001 02:43:29 UTC

GwynJ,

You answered my question about how you know some of your statements about God came from Him with

> . . . should it not be so? or else

> . . . [God] Said so

> . . . I believe it's written in Psalms.

All this means is that YOU reason God must be that way, SOMEONE said God said so, and the PSALMIST (David?) believed it. This is no proof that the ideas come from God.

> Perhaps we all are right at least part of the time.

How egalitarian of you! What about F_net = m a? Was Aristotle and all his followers (including the vast majority of K-12 and college students) right or was Newton right?

Science does NOT subscribe to such "everyone can be partially right" subjective ideas. It asserts that contradictory statements cannot be true. There is a reality outside of our conception of it. The Laws of science are not subject to people's opinions about it. Unlike the belief of some state legislators, the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter (pi) can't be decided by law to be different than what science and math say it is. Unlike Saturday morning cartoons, you will fall when you go over a cliff whether you look down or not. It's not a matter of opinion. All competent observers will agree with it.

Tolerant religious people might think like you do, that everyone can be partly right, but scientists generally do not.

> What relationship do I have with Him? I told
> Him, ok, IF you're there, you're gonna have to
> prove to me that all these concepts are true
> because I've probably got a watered down
> version of what you intended, IF you exist and
> care, and truly have the power to redeem junk.
> And he's given me proof after proof, even
> insights into stuff that it hadn't occurred to
> me to even ask about. Since doing that, I can
> believe what is said, that this life isn't 'all
> there is', anymore than the 'visible world' is
> all there is.

Did you speak or think to God or were you alone? Does the fact that you had insights after you believed in God mean there is a God. Atheists also have great insights. Did God make you better or did YOU make you better? Did God reveal to you that this life isn't all there is, or is that just a desperate hope you have since the thought of eternal oblivion upsets you?

I think you mentioned that you were previously an atheist. Were you trained as a scientist?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins