Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: God And Science; NEW VISTAS

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by David/">David on June 28, 1999 13:18:22 UTC

: Einstein said that science without God is dead and God without science is nothing. It was only recently, the Church acknowledged Galieo as a man who should be accepted into the Church and removed their official rebuke of his "heresies" about the Earth not being the center of Creation. I had an unfortunate experience in my former church library while returning a book dealing with Creation. I remarked to the librarian, "This is funny. Where did the guy get this stuff from, a Cracker Jack Box? He says that this universe is only 7,000 years old and that it only took precisely 144 hours, not a nano second more or less to create." Well, the library was rather busy and she stood up and yelled at the top of her voice,"GET OUT! Get out of here! GET OUT!" A rather large man was standing near me and I thought that he might grab me or something but, he just stood there looking rather confused by this woman's acts. She kept hollering and looked quite out of her mind. I later found out that this author was a close and personal friend of hers and the Baptist Pastor. This was in a seemingly enlightened Chicago neighborhood and I was never appologized to but, she did tell me that she had never done that to anyone before. Thanks be to God! : So, even though we may think of ourselves as "enlightened creatures", there is still a terrible amount of dogma out there. The science community is not without it's own dogmas. People are afraid to say what they believe to be new areas of science for fear of being thrown out of the scientific community. If we do not explore new vistas, relying only on what has been told to us, we will never get any further than where the past has brought us and we may get stuck in a rut with no place to go.

It is unfortunate that so many religious people whorship scripture rather than God.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins