Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Improper Distinction Between Science / Religion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on February 13, 2001 18:07:43 UTC

You seem to have imposed a strange criterion favoring religion over science:

> Where science and 'religion' differ is science
> prefers recognition for their works and
> discoveries, whereas living with them is
> satisfaction alone for believers.

I disagree both with the claimed distinction as well as the usefullness of the criterion.

Virtually all religions expect their members to spread the good news to their family, friends, and others, to recognize and promote the superiority of their dogma. If what you have is true, why wouldn't you want to share it?

If God really existed and each person could have their own personal relationship with Him, I would expect organized religion would be unnecessary. Each individual could learn enough truth from the Ultimate source that they wouldn't have to ask someone else's opinion about it. Wise teachers who had gained more spiritual knowledge than others would probably tend to expect each person to learn these spiritual truths at their own pace from the same pure source.

The social benefits of religion could be satisfied with non-religious organizations. I consider the existence of organized religions teaching contradictory beliefs as evidence against the existence of God.

A better criterion distinguishing religion and science is which works better? Which makes predictions that are reliable?

What has religion done for us lately? In the past it provided a unifying influence in society. Is it necessary today? I don't think nearly as much.

I think some form of agnostic humanism is an adequate moral replacement for current religions. The idea that good in the world would cease if a belief in God and punishment ceased is unfounded, I think.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins