Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Bible Or Shakespeare?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on February 13, 2001 17:12:25 UTC

As you implied, a lot of books have "more than meets the eye." Is that sufficient reason to focus so much effort on just one large book?

If the Bible is the Word of God then it is one of the most important books in the world. Perhaps we should be spending more time reading it than any other book. If it's not the Word of God then we could read it to gain some of its moral lessons, but not any more than any other fictional books that teach moral lessons. Eventually we should go on to other books, for example Shakespeare. We should not, as some churches recommend, read it a little every day year after year.

A Sunday School teacher I know taught that the English translation of the Bible was the greatest work in the English language. I think most English scholars would argue against that.

Your comments suggest you believe in God, may be a member of a religion, but don't feel obligated to subscribe too closely to any particular group's set of beliefs. You seem willing to concede that some of the miracles in the Bible did not occur. Am I right about you?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins