Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Good Questions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on February 7, 2001 22:28:48 UTC

Re: prayers and 'blessings' - it's written the rain falls on rich and poor alike. I'm sure you know that praying is no guarantee that one will receive, yet it increases the possibility (in part, I believe, to solidifying the vision of what one really wants). When it comes to events in the lives of believers and unbelievers (i don't make a big distinction between 'evil' and 'good' people, we all fall short of perfection; my stepbrother killed my dad, but i still can't think myself necessarily 'better' than him). Experiences are readily defined as 'hurtful' or 'wonderful' based on what's on the surface. But there is no experience or person where God does not exist or have presence, regardless of a person's willingness to acknowledge that or give him credit.

Not sure what you mean by "If prayer worked at all in a supernatural way you would expect a lot more
evidence."

RE: "One argument I heard is that if prayer worked then the Kings and Queens of Great Britain should have had significantly better health and lived longer..." that may be one of those 'things' that perhaps they DID live better and longer than they would have without prayer, but I realize that's a believer's take, and I don't offer it as 'proof', just food for thought. I know x-rays showed one of my mom's vertebrae regenerated within a week of prayer; the chiropractor remains astounded. Why wasn't it publicized? mom used to be kinda meek, i think. i'll suggest it to her, though, she has gotten bolder. too bad technology is such that people will just figure it was digitally enhanced, etc.

My unanswered prayers? Regretfully, I haven't prayed much (requested). Though, let's see, my sister's co-worker had a safe triplet pregnancy. my neighbor gave birth to a healthy daughter, after losing five babies in the first trimester each. a friend has a sense of peace for knowing he's not alone in his travails with custody. of course, those are GRANTED prayers. i'm learning more in this area and being more active in it. i haven't kept track, but i do have a journal just for it to do so now. i guess my relationship isn't just based on what prayers will get answered. i figure prayer is a tool to help get things done and be a part of an interesting relationship.

i wonder if it's more valuable to make no prayer, as atheists? interesting question. but prayers answered or not don't change who God is or that he's friend to man, one and all.

You ask do I agree that these events in my life could be explained without God? No, I do not agree. Events in all lives have God in them. And we all have an open invite to meet Him at a cafe. If we don't show up, whose fault is that, His? He gave us choices, sacred, He won't compromise that. Which is not to say He wouldn't love to be able to, but then he'd be breaking a promise, so why could we trust him if he did?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins