Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Do You Like Me?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on February 7, 2001 20:27:23 UTC

GwinJ,

You wrote:
> How do you like me so far?

I like you. I wish more people were as questioning as you are even if they were to retain a belief in God. There would be less of the more extreme superstitious ideas, less bigotry, etc.

> just too many funerals being attended in small
> communities it's hard to regain one's bearings
> cuz you get accustomed to mourning every day.

I've noticed in funerals of my religious extended family that they have become family reunions where we tell happy and sad (mostly happy) things we remember about the dead one. I suspect that black and mourning in funerals will gradually be replaced by color and happiness as more families pick up on this more positive approach to the loss of a loved one. This is a change in religious practice happening during our days without any obvious reason why the new funeral practices are scripturally superior to the old practices.

I expect we will hear more and more religious leaders preach the importance of happy, colorful funerals using the same scriptures they used to use to promote sad, black funerals.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins