Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Important To God?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on February 7, 2001 00:54:58 UTC

Mohammad Isa Mirsiam,

You wrote:
> You are important to God! The fact that
> you think of yourself as (maybe)
> insignificant in the sight of God brings
> you a step (yet may be a leap) closer to
> knowing God and feeling God's presence
> with your mind and spirit.

What you say sounds good, but so does Santa Clause. What evidence is there that your belief is true that there is a God who thinks we are important? Maybe people just hope that God exists and that he feels that way about them.

My self-debasing statements imply a level of humility, but what evidence do you have that God cares?

What does it mean to "feel God's presence"? Could these feelings you refer to merely be chemically and psychologically induced physiological and mental responses unrelated to anything supernatural?

What evidence is there that man has a spirit? If it existed as prominently as people claim then science should be able to measure it.

If God appeared I would think his presence would
register on scientific instruments, not just in the hallucination-capable and psychologically-affected minds of men. If our senses can perceive God, then so can scientific devices.

Should I accept as true your statements merely because lots of people believe them, because you seem so sincere, and because the ideas make me feel good? Science does not require that kind of trust.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins