Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A World Without Religion.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by John Morgan Powell on February 5, 2001 23:15:45 UTC

What would the world be like today if religion was discarded by our modern society?

I think religion has helped unify societies in the past. Those societies that could merge clan beliefs into a unified pantheon of Gods, with one God over all, probably better developed into kingdoms than those which could not.

I suspect that atheistic societies if/when they ever existed in the early history of mankind were less successful than religious ones because they tended to remain too small, too separated, too individualistic to compete effectively with the larger, more unified, religious societies.

I doubt that those factors are necessary for society's success today. I believe that nationalism and other factors have largely replaced religion in its unifying influence in politics.

Religion, especially during the Dark Ages, has been a detriment to the progress of science. Fortunately, it's not as much of a detriment today as it was in the past.

Could the world prosper in a nonreligious environment? Would we progress even faster than we're doing now?

Would the world be sadder than it is today because today it still hopes for an afterlife and worships a God who cares about them? Would the world be less moral, more evil? Would sin become rampant and anarchy inevitable? Would charity, brotherly kindness, hospitality, etc., cease?

If nearly everyone was either an atheist or an agnostic could there be any good going on or would we all be living in hell?

What do you think?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins