Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Reading The Holy Bible, I Found The Following:

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on February 4, 2001 01:59:17 UTC

Very well, I'll try to keep your same order, because these give me pause to wonder, too, esp. in terms of definition sometimes:

1:1 'In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.' Heavens is mentioned first; just as you said, the earth came after the heavens. Perhaps he DID clump it out of space debris.

1:2'And the earth was waste and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters'.

1:3'And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. 1:4And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.' Could it be the massive energy from the "Big Bang", and noting that he divided the light from the darkness implied purpose and not just random bang, there she is...? Because as we see, he did that first light thing, then the water and plants and creatures, and THEN 1:14-16 it's saying he made something to light the day from then on, and a lesser one for the night.

Do you suppose that indicates all the suns and stars we see were made about the same time as the earth? Or at least all the suns ignited around the same time which are visible from earth?

Your 'Earth was too hot to have waters on it' - if God's big enough to make the universe and heat, he probably could cause it to cool off enough to handle and put water on.

The 1:6 'firmament' may describe a sphere/vapor barrier, rather than solid rock, for instance. It may be worth noting that there is a theory that the earth was in a virtual 'greenhouse' of perpetual growth; food was there for the humans no problem, year round, sufficiently watered by the humidity/moisture therein and lack of drying winds and overly hot sun. Also explains finding foliage at the pole. there is no change in seasons in a greenhouse. Later when Adam and Eve messed things up they were told they were going to have to sow their own food in the seasons; perhaps the hole in the ozone is the proverbial pinhole in the balloon.

The heavens made - perhaps referring to the universe in general; then the firmament/sphere He called 'Heaven' - he gave the critters to man to name, so maybe he was saying this is my house but you can name everything else? dunno.

re: the math governing this water vapor, etc: math measures rate and volume of the activity, it does not govern. the inverse might be true: the laws of thermodynamics give us a set mathematical formula which is constant.

{1:9And God said, Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so...1:11And God said, Let the earth put forth grass,etc. You mentioned 'Accumulation of oxygen as a by-product of photosynthesis began (after marine plants emerged)': Do this experiment - take a seedling/plant (not one of yer mom's prize hydrangeas), put it in airtight container and see how long it lives. Or look at the growth comparison of two plants - one in only clay and one with soil that is aerated. Plants need oxygen from the soil to live. Or in the case of the marine plants you mention, they'd get their air from the H2O. If there is water, is there not air?

re: 'stars were there before He made Earth' - perhaps at the time he made 'the heavens and everything in them'?

re: stars being distant from the earth, if the firmament was actually that sphere i referred to earlier and the sun and moon stayed in that 'orbit' (no idea how THICK the firmament was or would have to be) it would allow constant temperature.

'And as we know, formation of a star is a gradual and long process' - certainly is, in our frame of reference of time. Especially these days, when we tap our foot the 10 seconds it takes to refresh this screen. But when you got a god who can see for eternity, even a million years must seem like a day to him; interesting it says it took him a day, he probably enjoyed the creative process rather than just snapping his ethereal fingers and having it instantly. ?

'Should we go further?' so long as you're not sick of me yet! if you DO tire of my input, by all means go ahead and tell me to put myself on hold from posting to your posts until you give me the 'all clear'.

re: 'About creation of human - nobody consider it even as a speculation...' not sure what you mean. Can't be possible? we turn INTO dirt eventually. Nobody dreamt of being resurrected once dead, but that happened, too; examples of the sovereignty of the engineer. like when i saw tons of vapor rise in the sky from the 1/2 inch thick coat of ice after a storm. He lifts it up just as mightily as he lays it down. Just because it COMES down with gravity, doesn't mean he is slave to it.

Re: Assyria's mention. This was before the great flood. The Assyria we know today may be located much differently than pre-flood.

Re: 'Cool longevity despite harsh ancient life' - Adam, et al, probably enjoyed fruitfulness in the days before the flood when 'the sky opened up', etc. like in a greenhouse. What stress, being able to talk directly with God without guessing much? After awhile God shortened the days to 120 max; possibly because the task of diversifying the gene pool was accomplished. And maybe as a mercy to husbands (would you want to have 40 wives and 40 MOTHERS IN LAW for 900 years?) haha

Or not. Doesn't really matter to people who don't believe God could exist. Ever read Job? ch 38-42, esp. are good for me to remember. keeps me humble. and curious. actually adds more to the list of stuff for God's signature, come to think of it.
you probably saw the book of the begats, huh? BOOOO-RRRRRRRR-IIIIIINNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. ugh. BUT. essential reference in the new testament. maybe if the bible was specific about every little thing it would seem really boring - god DOES appreciate curiosity. if he told us everything, it would negate that appreciation, and the power of choice, wouldn't it?

nudge nudge you're snoring, wake up! haha

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins