Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Close

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on February 3, 2001 15:40:27 UTC

I know plenty who attend church out of habit so it's lost its meaning, and plenty more who figure attending church is all that's required and there is no reason for them to act on what they believe. Admittedly, I don't even act on everything I believe.

But please allow me to comment on 'You believe in Jesus because the Bible says so.' When I was asked what the bible says about geological events, i decided to read up on it. Which posed more questions, which I asked a friend about, who pointed me to the fourth book of the New Test (John). I didn't go 'HALLELUJAH! I BELIEVE!' after a few verses. My reaction was 'Yeah, well, hmm, IF god and jesus existed/cared they have some answering to do cuz i don't wanna just be a lalala rose-colored glasses bible thumper'. And steadily on from there, when i'd just be living my life in the tipi (which was one of our happier times) i'd hear that 'voice' in my heart. like, and i'm sure this will sound silly, but so what: coffee was made by boiling water on the woodstove, and it was like a huge presentation: 'I invented the law that says when you ignite certain substances they burn a certain way, and woods are all different in this characteristic. I also invented the law that says a metal pot won't melt until it reaches a certain temp, and the law that says water will boil when it reaches a certain temp. Heck, I INVENTED water, wood, metal and air, and gravity and that's not the half of it - there are worlds within worlds to discover of each of those and many other things because I know the human brain goes nuts if it's bored.'

Wow. All that just waiting for coffee. What ELSE does it say in that book? And it was clear that the mean christians who were beating people up were told NOT to 'persecute', but they did anyway. they could get away with it cuz most folks couldn't read those words for themselves and books were scarce. then came the Reformation...

So, no, I don't require all scientific answers be given before I believe. I know he's there and we'll get our answers in due time and that the work that goes into discovering will not be unfruitful. He's proven himself to me, and i'm pretty picky. :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins