Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Scientific Currency

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Meg Brooks on February 1, 2001 20:42:47 UTC

holy cow! it IS you. i didn’t believe it when they said you were in this forum. i attended you lecture last month on constructionism and empirical science at emory, and I agree that that scientific laws are ideas. they are what we use to explain the world. the sky is blue. or if you are in Ecuador, the sky is azul. what we use to describe it does not change the color of the sky. as such, we may think that the blueness of the sky is an indisputable law, until someone comes along and says thatthe sky is bluer in Ecuador than here, anyway, it's not blue at all that is just an optical illusion. even 'laws' or 'obvious truth' is up for question in any rigorous discipline, and all of that is merely our idea aboutwhat we perceive. also, are you coming back to Boston this month? i didn’t know you were so intensely religious.-- meg

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins