Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Science And Buddhism....

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on January 31, 2001 17:40:02 UTC

It is very interesting to me that one can almost always boil down a long discourse to one cornerstone statement. This is what I think it is:

"the source of Buddhism is the awareness of suffering, and the origin of suffering is ignorance of the Law of Nature"

Let's consider this deliberately out of context.

It really makes a perfect fit to science. The technological strides made as a result of scientific investigation coming to understand how nature works have been marvelous. Most of the really bad suffering in the world is physical. And science is the proven way to develop wisdom about the physical.

Through science and the scientific approach to other areas like finance, we are on the verge of eliminating most of the suffering described in the bible, particularly Revelations.

So why are not all Buddhists scientists or vice versa? Well reading on in the above treatise, I find that understanding physical law is given low priority in Buddhism. That's one reason. But a perhaps more important one is that there is the notion that the Buddha revealed all the truth that needs to be known. That is a recipe for stagnation. In the search for human knowledge we must look forwards, not backwards.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins