Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Could You Clarify?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on January 28, 2001 06:28:14 UTC

Only a universe that can support life, in which life developed, could result in sentient beings who claim the universe was made for their benefit. A dead universe wouldn't. So, maybe it's just luck?

It's hard to explain this, so I'll use an example. Just suppose there are infinite other universes, paralell worlds, etc out there. It's been proven that the chances of a universe supporting life are infinitesmal. Something like six different variables, each one with a tight margin of error, have to be JUST SO for life to have a chance of developing. Ergo, the universe was made with life in mind, say some believers.

I counter that with this: Only a universe that fell within those limits could ever develop the life necessary to claim that. So, there could easily be infinite paralell worlds in which life never developed. So, if hypothetically one in a trillion or so universes developed life, each one in a trillion universes could then claim that existence was made with life in mind, even when so many others weren't.

That was a paragraph of gibberish, but I hope you see what I mean.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins