Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You Misunderstand Me.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on January 25, 2001 03:01:20 UTC

"You like Hawkings question our existence and the existence of God Knowing that no one on earth can answer unless they do so with faith ."

Hawkings is also arguably the greatest genius since Einstien. That obvious point aside, it goes straight back to my faith argument I've made before:

Since no faith can be proven, all faiths are equally provable and therefore equally valid. By extension, I can believe whatever I want and it is just as valid as any. So why should I choose to follow your faith rather than another? Because you say so? Do you value blind obedience over intelligent questioning? If so, your arguments come from a position of weakness.

"So is your question soley aimed at getting peoples backs up or are you really that stupid that you think a person of faith can answer it , because if you seek confirmation you lack wisdom and have no respect like hawkings for others opinions and beliefs"

I don't argue to get confirmation to my beliefs. I argue so I can destroy them. I can't become religious out of fear and ignorance. I came here looking for enlightened answers to my questions, so I could change my views on life. My opinions are always changing, but they always have foundations in reason. I've been looking my entire life for such a foundation in religion, and haven't found any. You honestly think I post here so I can laugh at you and say "Ha ha, I'm right and you're wrong?" You have it entirely backwards. I want to believe. But I WON'T out of a cowardly inability to consider the event that I'm wrong. You on the other hand, seem to.

A warning: I wrote the following paragraphs while extremely angry. I usually try not to be so insulting.

Because I question my and others' opinions I lack wisdom? I would argue that wisdom is not static and unchanging as you would have it be. You seem to think that those that are wise refuse to consider that somewhere out there, someone who disagrees with them may be right. And we can't have the happy wise men thinking that! The solution is to bottle yourself up in your little world, never emerging except to spout meaningless drivel with no back-up, no counter arguments, no reasoning, only restating the same feel-good messages over and over. Why is faith true? Well, it's true because I say it is! What a wonderfully little self-perpetuating argument. It requires no proof whatsoever, so idiots can go on believing whatever they please without even stopping to CONSIDER alternatives. Your "wisdom" is nothing more than thinly vieled desperation.

"if you want to find an answer to your question still then try tempting a knock at death's door without faith . "

Now you're going to use scare tactics on me? I should believe because if I don't I'll burn in Hell? If people with honest, intelligent questions go to Hell, then Heaven sure doesn't sound like a place I'd like to go.

Perhaps you'd like to answer me in at least a semi-coherent argument this time.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins