Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Greed Vs Need

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil.O.Sofir on January 23, 2001 16:38:24 UTC

I fail to see the overall point, I guess the assumption is that gold has some supreame property that nothing else has.
It is my opinion that gold is pretty, and has some nice properties to it, but is not of any more usefulness than anything else other than it is harder to find than some other things and has been turned into a standard by which the value of other things is measured. I guess it depends on the situation. If I needed to defend myself, I would much rather have a sword of steel than one of gold, and if I had to do some bartring for food, I would much rather have a coin of gold that one of steel. So it is not a value of its properties but one which is artificially created.
I wonder what else you could apply this to?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins